Disciplinary literacy is defined as the confluence of content knowledge, experiences, and skills merged with the ability to read, write, listen, speak and think critically in a way that is meaningful within the context of a given field.
With Wisconsin’s adoption of the CCSS and Educator Effectiveness, a spotlight has been placed on Disciplinary Literacy Standards, also know as Wisconsin Standards for Literacy in All Subjects. This service will assist districts in laying a foundation of understanding of the Literacy in All Subject Standards and guide to integrate their application. It will further demonstrate how they may relate to SLOs and PPGs through ongoing sustained professional development.
The CESA #4 Instructional Services team will provide districts with the opportunity to begin or further the implementation of the Disciplinary Literacy Standards by supporting and complementing content area standards and providing access to student learning by promoting content-specific literacy instruction.
Level 1—Basic Service
- Deliver a CESA-based four-day series to examine the Disciplinary Literacy Standards to district teams of up to five members. Additional participants may attend for a fee of $75 per educator per session. Each day will focus on high impact Disciplinary Literacy Standards.
- One day of in-district support around Disciplinary Literacy
Level 2—Customized Service
CESA #4 staff will customize in-district content and professional development goals to support implementation of Disciplinary Literacy Standards in all content areas (Science, Social Studies, Art, Physical Education, Music, Technical Subjects, and more). Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitate disciplinary literacy learning and application support for instruction
- Determining instructional strategies that address Disciplinary Literacy Standards
- Creating assessments that align with Disciplinary Literacy
- Unpacking the Disciplinary Literacy Standards for instruction
- Format includes: small group, department, grade level, or whole staff
For more information contact:
(608) 786-4814 or Toll Free (800) 514-3075
FAX (608) 786-4801
(608) 786-4832; Toll Free (800) 514-3075
FAX (608) 786-4801