The Herb Kohl Educational Foundation has announced 2017 awards to Wisconsin students, teachers and principals. Awards in the amount of $3,000 will be given to 100 teachers, 16 principals, and their schools, and $5,000 scholarships will be given to 207 graduating high school seniors.
March 2017 Kohl Press Release
Herb Kohl Educational Foundation for Teachers and Students
(Includes Form Downloads and Search for Past Recipients
2017 Herb Kohl Foundation Excellence Scholarship, Initiative Scholarship, Fellowship, and Leadership Award Recipients Announced
The selection committee for the Herb Kohl Educational Foundation Scholarship, Fellowship, and Leadership Program has announced recipients of the 2017 Herb Kohl Foundation awards for students, teachers, and principals. Awards in the amount of $3,000 are being made to 100 teachers, 16 principals, and their schools, and $5,000 scholarships will be given to 207 graduating high school students.
Excellence Scholarship recipients have demonstrated excellence in the academic arena and high motivation to achieve, have displayed a broad range of activity and leadership outside the academic setting, and have shown strong promise for succeeding in college and beyond. Fellowship recipients are educators who have been chosen for their superior ability to inspire a love of learning in their students, their ability to motivate others, and their leadership and service within and outside the classroom. Leadership Award recipients are school principals who are being recognized for setting high standards for instruction, achievement and character, and creating a climate to best serve students, families, staff, and community. Excellence Scholarship, Fellowship and Leadership Award recipients are selected by a statewide committee composed of civic leaders, representatives of education-related associations, and the program’s co-sponsors: the Wisconsin Newspaper Association Foundation, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, Wisconsin Council of Religious and Independent Schools (WCRIS), regional Cooperative Educational Service Agencies (CESA), and the Association of Wisconsin School Administrators.
Initiative Scholarship recipients, chosen by their schools, have demonstrated exceptional initiative in the classroom and have shown strong promise for succeeding in college and beyond, but have not yet received other academic-based scholarships. “I think it is significant that Wisconsin’s students, teachers, principals, and schools are recognized for their devotion to education and learning,” said Michael Lancaster, WCRIS board president.
The Kohl Foundation Scholarship and Fellowship program was established by Herb Kohl, philanthropist and businessman, in 1990. To date the foundation has awarded $11.5 million to Wisconsin educators, principals, students, and schools. “Education is the key to the future of Wisconsin and our nation. I am very proud of the accomplishments of these students, teachers, and principals and look forward to the great contributions they will make in the future,” Kohl said.
Letters notifying recipients of the award were mailed by the Herb Kohl Foundation on March 11, 2017. Regional recognition luncheons honoring the recipients will be held in a few weeks. Following is the list of recognition luncheon dates and locations as well as the list of recipients. Herb Kohl will attend all luncheons and present awards to recipients.
2017 Herb Kohl Educational Foundation
CESA #4 Student/Teacher/Principal recipients include:
Student Excellence Scholars:
- Addison Arndt, Ontario Brookwood High School, Ontario
- Angela Klinkner, Cashton Cashton High School, Cashton
- Jacob Markhardt, Black River Falls Black River Falls High School, Black River Falls
- Darius Namazi, Onalaska Onalaska High School, Onalaska
- Briar Putz, Fountain City Cochrane-Fountain City High School, Fountain City
- Mikaela Schlesinger, La Crosse Aquinas High School, La Crosse
- Clare Simpson, La Crosse Logan High School, La Crosse
Student Initiative Scholars:
- Kylee Anderson, Sparta Sparta High School, Sparta
- Amanda O’Neill, Merrilan Lincoln High School, Alma Center
- Kody Pagel, Wonewoc Wonewoc-Center High School, Wonewoc
- Benjamin Rice, Genoa De Soto High School, De Soto
- Kaylee Roths, Stoddard Logan High School, La Crosse
- Sherry Brevick, Alma Alma Area School, Alma
- Mary Czajka, West Salem West Salem Elementary School, West Salem
- Anna Fleming, Onalaska St. Patrick School, Sparta
- Oakley Moser, IV, Tomah Tomah High School, Tomah
- Wendy Schibbelhut, Onalaska St. Paul’s Lutheran School, Onalaska
- Tara Schuttenhelm, La Crosse North Woods International School, La Crosse
- Eric Wojta, Onalaska Onalaska High School, Onalaska
Principals are awarded for setting high standards for instruction, achievement, and character and creating a climate to best serve students, staff and community
- Robert Vanderloop, Elk Mound Independence Elementary School, Independence
For more information contact:
(608) 786-4807; Toll Free (800) 514-3075
Fax: (608) 786-4801
(608) 786-4832; Toll Free (800) 514-3075
FAX (608) 786-4801